Starting with Hacking

Home Forums Career & Development Starting with Hacking

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AlizaibHassan 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rodolfo
    Keymaster

Hi there!

Most of you probably are attracted to hacking because of Bug Bounties but it’s good to have a solid understanding of at least basics of all hacker stuff!

So here are some things I do recommend for you to learn for HACKING in general:

1. Programming Language

It can be any language, as long as you understand the CONCEPTS OF PROGRAMMING. So if you learn a script language like Bash Script (which I highly recommend), for example, you will need also some other language, to learn OOP (Object Oriented Programming) like Java, C++, C# or Ruby. Perl and Python, specially this last one is the choice for most command-line hacking tools out there although Perl can also be great for things involving (memory-based) exploit development. At least it used to be in the past! 🙂

If you are going to Web Hacking therefore Bug Bounty, a server side language like PHP is kinda mandatory, to have a better understanding of the developer’s side and their mistakes. ASP, ASP.NET, JSP, ColdFusion, etc are welcome too but not really needed in the beginning: most of the web runs on Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) wheels! Structured Query Language (SQL) is a must-have, but due to a lot of automation done on this, you probably can start only with basic knowledge on it, at least how to operate those tools (sqlmap, havij, etc).

Finally, it’s mandatory to Web Hacking to know (I mean UNDERSTAND) HTML, the HTTP protocol and some JavaScript but no need to be an expert on this last one. It’s just important to keep learning since there’s a lot to learn in that topic only!

2. Operating System

While you can do all the things in a Windows system with a Virtual Machine (VM) for another OS, I highly recommend you to have a Linux or any other Unix-based (like Mac OS) system as your primary OS. That will force you to learn other things too, like all command line stuff, manual setup of a local lab and even a better understanding of internals and protocols. It’s also closely related to the next topic, check it.

3. Hacking Tricks!

You won’t be a computer ninja without knowing the tricks! So you will need books, tutorials, blog posts, videos, tweets and any other social media resource. It will be a little test for you to find the right/good ones because to be a true hacker you MUST BE ABLE TO FIND THINGS BY YOURSELF. No one can be helping you all the time so look only for GUIDANCE or MENTORSHIP. One of those resources is being built right here, in this forum, with topics and replies of some members of the HACKING COMMUNITY. So stay tuned because good things will come here!

If you are totally new to hacking, you will need to realize that when we talk about it, we are also talking about SECURITY VULNERABILITIES. That’s what we do most of the time, we look for KNOWN SECURITY BUGS and we exploit them following also some KNOWN PROCEDURES. They usually are out there, in the type of resources I’ve just told you above. So the more you read, watch and learn, more tricks to hack you will have. To make your learning faster and deeper, I highly recommend PRACTICE: ideally it should be at your own lab but I will leave that to you, where you will practice everything you come to know.

Practice is so important that my motto is exactly about it: don’t learn to hack, hack to learn! 🙂

I hope it can be useful for you who is starting on this fabulous world of HACKING!

Good luck and welcome,
    Rodolfo “Brute” Assis.

P.S.: feel free to add to this topic your advice, suggestion, story or anything else you think it’s important for newcomers. Just try to make it simple, it’s already too complicated for those who don’t even know the basics.

AlizaibHassan
    Participant

Awesome advice brother and thanks a lot it will help a lot well a quick question you mentioned using linux or ios as primary os can you please suggested a Linux based os which i can install as primary os (ubentu or kali etc) i am think to shift after reading this article.

rodolfo
    Keymaster

I suggest Ubuntu because it’s very user friendly and has a lot of support from community. With time, if you feel confortable, jump to Kali! 😉

AlizaibHassan
    Participant

ahn awesome thanks a lot bro 😀 XD will Shift Soon …

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.